Frank Warren Confirms Tyson Fury vs. Oleksandr Usyk Is Back, Reveals Likely Date, Says Gypsy King Deserves Credit for ‘Dodge Nobody’
Frank Warren has confirmed that Tyson Fury v Oleksandr Usyk is back and is set to continue on April 29 at Wembley.
The two heavyweights have been locked in negotiations over a blockbuster fight to unify all of the division’s belts.
The biggest stumbling block seemed to be the split of the purses, Usyk reportedly agreeing to a 70/30, in favor of Fury, following a series of exchanges on social media.
The WBA was to order the Ukrainian to fight Daniel Dubois, his mandatory challenger, but released a statement confirming an 11-hour deal had been reached.
Fury co-promoter Warren has joined talkSPORT’s Fight Night for an update on the latest.
He said, “Here we go. Provided the contracts are settled, everyone is on the same page. We just have to keep moving forward and I’m sure it will happen.
Warren also confirmed that the two men had agreed to split the purse, but did not disclose what it was.
When asked if it would continue on April 29, Warren said, “That would be the date of the fight. At one point, I wasn’t sure Tyson would be fit, but he’s fine.
Tyson Fury calls out Logan and Jake Paul and says the brothers are ‘a pair of losers’
Fury says he ‘only needs six weeks’ to train for Usyk fight and just started camp
Usyk hailed as a ‘real fighter’ for accepting ‘ridiculous’ terms from Fury for fight
Fury vs Usyk agreed: WBA confirms fight still on after Ukraine agrees to 70/30 split
Oleksandr Usyk promoter claims Tyson Fury turned down deal as he demanded 70/30 split
Tyson Fury breaks silence and makes public offer to Oleksandr Usyk
“At the end of the day, they both came out and said what they want to do and obviously we have to get the contracts signed. Everyone is working on that to get everything finalized.
Warren also thinks the Gypsy King deserves big credit for making sure he got this fight, despite the criticism for his purse demands.
He continued, “Everyone wants to see the fight. Everyone should take their hats off to Tyson Fury because he’s the only heavyweight since returning to those big glory days of Ali, Foreman and Frazier who’s fought the best of the generations he’s been in.
“He fought against Klitschko, who was the best of his generation, went to his garden and beat him.
“The longest reigning heavyweight in Deontay Wilder – went to the United States not once but three times and beat him.
“Now he’s approaching the guy who’s had two wins over Joshua and has three belts.
“You have to take your hat off to Tyson, we’re talking about Lennox Lewis, but he never fought Riddick Bowe, never fought Mike Tyson until he was way past his best.
“I take nothing away from Lennox, he was a great fighter. Tyson fought all of these guys at their best.
He added: “Once we get everything finalized…it’s great. It’s the first time four belts have been on the line. It’s the biggest heavyweight fight in I don’t know how many years.
“Both are undefeated and both at their peak. It will be a fantastic event and the most profitable event ever held at Wembley, beating the previous one.
“I’m not talking about boxing but about a one-off event. The precedent was again last April with Tyson.
“He’s a megastar and I’m thrilled for him.
“People should recognize in him that we have a fighter who dodges no one.”
If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials on our website, please contact us by email – at email@example.com The content will be deleted within 24 hours.